Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

I do some freelance medical billing work in the weekends and

I do some freelance medical billing work in the weekends and had a verbal contract with the CEO of a laboratory in town to clean up and try to recover money after loosing his biller. The worked was performed on Saturdays (4 hours each Saturday) from July to September. The invoice for $4,000 was sent to the CEO and only a payment of $500 was received. For the next following months, I sent invoices via mail and email with no response. 6 months later I filed a claim with the county small claims court and I have a court date in August. The question is if I should hire an attorney to represent me or because is a verbal contract I should not spend the money and represent myself?

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

Because the agreement was verbal, there really is very little reason for an attorney in this case. There isn't going to be any contract language to interpret.

The only document that you'll have is the invoice for your work. If you have records of your work period and can state, with clarity, why it is that your figure of $4000 is what you should be paid, as based on the verbal agreement that you had, then you do not need an attorney.

Small claims is intentionally set up to be accessible to non-attorneys so that you can avoid the expense of having to pay one.