Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

I was convicted of a DUI 13 years ago in Michigan. I am having

I was convicted of a DUI 13 years ago in Michigan. I am having a pre-employment background check performed in Indiana. Will the DUI show up on the background check?

Thank you for the information and your question. Yes, assuming that the background check should show your DUI conviction, if you were an Indiana DL holder when you received the Michigan DUI, or if it is a National Agency Check. However, if the employer is not doing a National background check and you were not an Indiana DL holder when you received the DUI, it will not show up. All that said, if your application asks for all prior convictions, and you have not had this conviction expunged, then you want to list it. Otherwise, if the employer finds out about it and you have not listed it, they can withdraw the job offer, or even terminate you after you start, for making a false statement on your application.

You can read about the limitations on what can be reported in a criminal background check in Indiana by going to:

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further If I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When filling out the information for the third party to perform the background check, one of the questions specifically asked if I have ever been convicted of any misdemeanors that have not been expunged, sealed, etc. I answered yes and identified the 2000 DUI conviction.

I am unsure how far back the background check will go. It is my understanding 7 and 10 years are typical. However, the point is moot since I revealed the 13 year old conviction on the questionnaire.

I realize you are an attorney and not an HR person, however, do have any feeling for how the conviction will be received considering it was 13 years ago? The position applied for is a Chemist at an aerospace company. Thanks.

Hello again and thank you for your reply. In Indiana there is no statutory restriction on how far back they can check, but you are right that many employers have a cut off for how far back they will even consider a conviction in their decisionmaking. Since this conviction is so old, I just can't foresee it being an issue at all for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, Marsha.