Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

I have been working for a company for 8 years. When the company

I have been working for a company for 8 years. When the company changed office locations, my boss said he would set up an office in my home as I did not want to commute to the new location. I have worked 4 days per week for the last 6 years in my home. Recently, I was requested to start working at the other office location which is 12 miles away for the same pay. And, work 1 day less per week and not work at home. I averaged about 7 hours per day and grossed 21,000-23,000 a year. The working conditions in the new location are not very good, therefore, I am wondering if I am entitled to unemployment (in Michigan) because of the demanded change?

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

Regrettably, on those facts, no. If you were talking about the requirement to travel 5o to 60 miles to your job or even to relocate, that would be considered reasonable grounds to quit in order to find new employment.

Change alone is not enough. Their has to be a drastic change, such that any reasonable person would have no choice but to quit. I'm not saying that you are unreasonable....that is the actual legal term they use...the "reasonable person" standard. They apply what is called a "reasonable person" standard, which means they ask if the reasonable person would have no choice but to quit their job if they were asked to travel 12 miles to a new work location.

This is not going to be considered a significantly outrageous request as to allow you to quit and get unemployment.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. XXXXX wish it was different, I appreciate your facts. I guess it is time to be looking for another job.

I do wish I could tell you differently here, but I want to remain completely honest with you. The last thing I want is for you to move forward with a resignation expecting unemployment and then finding that it isn't there for you. That would cause much more harm than my giving you an answer now that, while not encouraging, is legally accurate.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I guess I was hoping for an miracle.

I'm sorry. I wish that I could give you that miracle, but my job is to give accurate legal answers to the questions that people ask me.

That's all I can do here. To tell you anything other than the honest answer would ultimately end up harming you and I won't do that.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Forgot to ask how many hours per week must be worked to collect unemployment?