Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

Thank you. Another question relating to that is if we pay

Thank you. Another question relating to that is if we pay it to one employee for working the night shift do we have to pay it to all?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and for asking for me. I look forward to working with you again.

Under FL law, shift differential is not ever required and with at will employees the employer is free to negotiate pay separately with each employee. Thus, you do not HAVE to pay it to all, but you SHOULD pay it to all because not doing so can give rise to complaints of unlawful discrimination if you treat this one employee different than the other employees who happen to be of a different age/race/sex/national origin etc. While you might be able to win any case brought against you, I am afraid you would still incur legal fees in defending such a case.

Generally, you can however negotiate to pay one employee more for working at night than you pay everyone else, just be careful and be aware that if the other employees file a complaint you have to prove it had nothing to do with age/race/sex/national origin etc.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me the proof I can give our agent? They are saying if we pay to one we must pay to all. The agent is here right now.

The agent is telling you this for the same reason I said it above, you can quickly get into a bind with employee complaints if you do not.

However, I cannot provide you a statute that does not exist and there is no statute stating that you have to pay all employees the same pay in FL under their at will scheme. You just have to prove you are not treating the other employees differently based on their age/race/sex/national origin etc and as an at will employer you are free to negotiate your payment with each employee.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 20+ Years of Employment Law Experience