Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I am a 24 year veteran of the federal fire service. I have

I am a 24 year veteran of the federal fire service. I have recently started the paperwork for retirement. The day after I set my intended retirement date my supervisor sent me home on administrative leave pending an investigation with possible termination. This occurred the morning of the 26th. It is regarding the fact that I took a box of paperwork home. I am not privileged to any official paperwork on any kind this was just the items I used for training and research. Some I have had for many years. But now I am on hold and being harassed and is taking its toll on me physically. Do I have any options? As of date the union has done nothing.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

This smells badly of retaliation for you submitting your retirement. Such retaliation is prohibited and can be reported to the EEO for investigation based on discrimination and retaliation under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. An employer cannot seek to discipline an employee for retiring and here based on the timing it appears that the supervisor is using this taking of paperwork as a pretext for such discrimination.

Thus, your first step is to file a complaint with the EEO and have an investigation started regarding the retaliatory harassment based on age and you submitting your retirement.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.