Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

I work full-time (in NV) and have three other employers by

I work full-time (in NV) and have three other employers by whom I am paid...but the three combined are not my main income and have no benefits. I expect I will be forced out of my primary job (without cause, because of a management restructuring). If necessary..would I qualify for any unemployment benefits on the primary job even if I were able to keep the others? I will lose over half my income if this happens. How long would I have to file for unemployment on the primary job if for some reason I'm not able to keep the other 3 jobs? If I am let go from the primary position, again for absolutely no I have any leverage as far as severance goes?

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

In terms of unemployment, you can file, but you would have to report the income from all of your part time jobs for each week that you receive it, which will very likely result in you not receiving any unemployment. The state doesn't actually consider how much money you lose when deciding what your rate of unemployment is. If your income from the other sources is too great, you'll get no benefit from unemployment. However, if you voluntarily stop working those jobs, you'll essentially disqualify yourself from unemployment too.

You would need to be filing for unemployment the entire time, even if you aren't paid anything, just to keep the benefit going. The only way you can move into the longer periods of unemployment is to have filed, during the appropriate time frame, for the earlier benefit (even if you're income from the part time jobs is too high for you to actually be paid anything).

On the issue of severance, unless you have a contract of employment that specifically stated that you could only be terminated for cause, the employer doesn't legally need a cause for termination in your state. This is called "at will" employment, which is the predominant employment status in this country. Just being terminated without cause is not grounds for demanding severance. You'd need some indication that the basis for your termination was race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, would there be any reason to file for unemployment benefits if I have the income from the other jobs? I'm sure (income wise) I wouldn't qualify with this income. I just dont want to make a mistake concerning unemployment filing. Is unemployment filing based on a full-time job, or just documentable income?

Yes, there is a reason to file. You need to establish your eligibility and be in the system so that, if you were to lose those part time jobs or not make income from them, you're already established.

Unemployment filing is based on documented income, so it will be based on the full time job that was reporting your income to the state and paying unemployment premiums to the state.

That being said, when filing each week for benefits, you must report all forms of income from wages.