Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

Is it legal in Texas to cut your wages for 4 years, now the

Is it legal in Texas to cut your wages for 4 years, now the company hired 3 new employees with a full salary.
Can this be discrimination?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

It is perfectly legal UNLESS you are a member of a protected class, based on race, age, gender, disability, etc., and the action was based on that classification then it would be illegal.

JD 1992 :

The website is showing you are offline so I will save and exit so I can assist others. If you have any additional questions please feel free to ask them in this thread. I will be online most of the day but it may take a little while for me to answer if I am assisting others.

Customer:

So an employer can diced how will get a pay cut and how can get full pay check?

JD 1992 :

Texas is what is known an an employment at will state. That means that, absent a written contract, an employer can make any decisions that it wants to make including hiring, firing and even cutting salaries for no reason other than it wants to. They can't cut pay for work already done, but the can reduce the amount they will pay for future work.

Customer:

Thanks for the advise.

JD 1992 :

Many people believe that the law is something different than it is so I'm going to put a link here http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/pay_and_policies_general.html that is to the Texas Workforce Commission's website. If you will look at #3 you will see that what I am telling you is correct.

JD 1992 :

Now if they are doing it because of your race, etc., that is illegal and is an exception.

JD 1992 :

They aren't allowed to make any decision or even consider your race, age, etc. when making any decisions at all.

Customer:

Understood.

JD 1992 :

Texas is one of the states that i smost unfair to employees.

Customer:

Sure is.

JD 1992 :

All of the laws are geared toward employers here and it is getting to be that way almost everywhere.

Customer:

That's what a see, union is a good solution.

JD 1992 :

Yes, a union definitely makes a difference.

Customer:

Thanks for your help

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome and best wishes to you.

Customer:

Thank you.

JD 1992 :

I am truly sorry to give you what I am sure is bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and very unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an completely honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer. Please remember to rate me based upon whether I answered your question, and not upon whether the answer was good news or bad news since I have no control over whether the law is in your favor or not.

Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Employment Law Expert
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.