Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

Hello, I work for a cardiology office in Nevada. I have a

Hello, I work for a cardiology office in Nevada. I have a 7-1/2 hour work day. I was told the only break I get is a 30 minute lunch. Is this true?

Thank you for the information and your question. I have set out below an official statement from the Nevada Labor Commissioner's website. As you can see, you are entitled to 10 minutes for every 4 hours you work. So, if you actually work 7.5 hours, that would be one 10 minute break. If you cannot resolve this with your employer, you can file a complaint with the Labor Commissioner's Office and can find more information about that and other FAQ, by going to: http://www.laborcommissioner.com/faq.html

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.

Rest periods are based on the total hours worked daily at the rate of 10 minutes for each 4 hours worked. An unpaid meal period of 30 minutes of uninterrupted time shall be authorized for an employee working a continuous period of 8 hours.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I interpret this as meaning I should get a 10 minute break and a 30 minute mealtime break in a 7-1/2 hour work day. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct with the break. If you are actually at work for 8 hours straight, then you are entitled to the 30 minutes lunch. Otherwise, if you are only at work for 7.5 hours total, then you are not entitled to a meal break under the law.