Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I had a salaried excutive management position in July of 2011

I had a salaried excutive management position in July of 2011 which I held for ten years.
I was called into a meeting with the Owners and our New General Manager, and was told they were going to make a change in my position, and that they were reducing my salary, and my new position would still be salaried but would not be ready for a few months. I told them that I would have to think about it over the weekend. Monday morning came and the owner called me into his office and asked for a decision. I told him I would take the new position and he became very emotional. Since this agreement the new job has not taken place, the General Manager is no longer employed here. The new General Manager is his son in law. I was called into a meeting with him and told that what ever agreements were made he is not aware of and that I am going hourly and that he hopes I stay on. I feel I was treated unfairly. My wages have been reduced I am struggling to make ends meet and take care of my family. Is there any legal recourse that I can take?

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

Unfortunately, without a contract of employment specifically guaranteeing you the new position and also guaranteeing that you could only loose the new position "for cause" there is nothing to be done here, just on the facts you've given.

In your state, just like every other state except one, without a contract of employment expressly stating that you can only be terminated for cause, your employment is "at will."

That means that your employment can legally be terminated at any point, and that the terms of your employment can be altered at any time, with or without your consent.

Verbal promises of continued employment are "at will" which really means that they bear no legal power beyond the company's actual choice to adhere to it. It's an "at will" offer, that can be changed at any point.

So, unless you have some evidence that the only reason you are being reduced in position is your race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use, there is simply nothing that can be done here.

I won't say you haven't not been treated unfairly, but that doesn't equate to a legal issue in most situations. Employment law is actually very limited in what is illegal.