Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

If I decide to terminate this employee based on not having

If I decide to terminate this employee based on not having enough work and not wanting to have her work as needed or part time would the following be okay from a termination standpoint? She comes back to work, I immediately talk with her and tell her that I am letting her go because I don't have the workload, I give her a final check - pay her 8 hours for that day - have her take all her possesions and that is it? Do I need to have a written document teminating and have her sign? Anything else I should do or be prepared for?

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

That would be fine. There is certainly nothing legally wrong with doing it in that fashion.

You don't need any written documentation terminating her, but certainly having something written for your own records is better than not have something written.

You don't need to have her sign anything.

Really, the most important part is being prepared to pay her for her final work pay as she leaves.