wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

Effective July 1, 2013, my employer has instituted a "no personal

Effective July 1, 2013, my employer has instituted a "no personal relationship, no dating" policy for employees. I have been dating a co-worker since March. What are the implications?

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

This is an unfortunate situation,

wallstreetfighter :

under PA law, this would be allowed, unless

wallstreetfighter :

you can claim it is a violation of your protected civil rights, the policy would be allowed if it applies to all employees,

wallstreetfighter :

If the policy is applied only to you and not others, you may have a claim against the employer.

wallstreetfighter :

In terms of implications, you may want to send a letter to the employer or HR, stating that you want to be grandfathered in, due to the fact you have had a relationship with the co worker prior to any rule,

wallstreetfighter :

that may be allowed.

Customer:

Thank you! I will pursue the "grandfathered in" request. Any further recommendations or advise?

wallstreetfighter :

You should have the co worker also send the request or speak together with HR to have this issue settled, if you wish even claim she is a fiance, which may make it easier for them to approve.

Customer:

I suspect this policy was added to our Handbook because of our relationship, however, that would be very difficult to prove

wallstreetfighter :

If you both go into the office and ask for a waiver of the policy, that may be the best way to handle the matter,

wallstreetfighter :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

wallstreetfighter :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback.