Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I received a Probable Cause finding for a disability discrimination

I received a Probable Cause finding for a disability discrimination case in the NYS Div of Hum. Rts. They will schedule a settlement conference and thereafter a public hearing.

May I contact the "respondent" (my former employer & subject of the finding) in an effort to settle the matter before the settlement conference and public hearing?

I'm "afraid" it's "improper" to not go "through" the NYS Div of Hum. Rts (although if I don't get a satisfactory settlement offer, I certainly want to go "through" DHS' settlement conference).

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you, I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Has your employer informed you they have retained an attorney? If so, you'd need to contact the attorney about settlement and not your employer directly. Either way, there is no need for you to wait until the settlement conference to attempt to negotiate settlement. Settlement discussions are entirely appropriate and indeed generally encouraged.

The only question is whether it is proper to contact your employer directly, and that depends on whether they have informed you they retained counsel with regard to this matter.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.