wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I was told on Monday that my position is being eliminated and

I was told on Monday that my position is being eliminated and I am part of a RIF. I work for a large corporation and there are 6 product managers that represent our product line. I am the only one targeted for the RIF and I am also the oldest of the PMs. I have gotten no written info from my company and the verbal severance was for 2 weeks pay. Insurance benefits will run out at the end of July. Is this legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 1 year ago.

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

This is an unfortunate situation,

wallstreetfighter :

if you feel they have discriminated against you due to your age, that is against the law,

wallstreetfighter :

and you should file a discrimination case as soon as possible,

wallstreetfighter :

by doing this the employer may try to settle with you, and even offer you a fair severance

wallstreetfighter :

which includes paying for your medical insurance,

wallstreetfighter :

Georgia has no state agency that enforces anti-discrimination laws for private sector (non-government) employees; see the local EEOC office below.

Discrimination/Harassment - Local Offices of Federal Agency (EEOC)

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
Atlanta District Office
100 Alabama Street
Suite 4R30
Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>TTY:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Savannah Local Office
410 Mall Boulevard
Suite G
Savannah, GANNN-NN-NNNNbr/>Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>TTY:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer:

I know that there was actually someone else named that was supossed to be the target of the RIF. My VP is recruited that person to the company so he targeted me instead

Customer:

Is there any specific info I should ask HR to provide?

wallstreetfighter :

No, they will not provide it, you should advise HR that you feel the termination is not justified and that you feel you were chosen due to your age,

wallstreetfighter :

and that you will have no other option but to file an EEOC complaint.

wallstreetfighter :

With such a letter they may try to settle with you and will take the matter seriously,

Customer:

OK and the complaint I file is with the GA EEOC? Do I get an attorney here in Atlanta?

wallstreetfighter :

Since GA is an at will State, they do not have to cooperate in any way, except if it is based on your protected civil rights

wallstreetfighter :

You should file an EEOC in Atlanta,

Customer:

thank you.

Customer:

ok I will start that process today

wallstreetfighter :

you will need an attorney later,

wallstreetfighter :

you can file the complaint by yourself.

wallstreetfighter :

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer:

thank you!

wallstreetfighter :

If satisfied please provide us with your positive feedback, good luck.

Customer:

I will thanks.

wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience: 14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits