Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

My employer is getting new time clocks. Part of it requires

My employer is getting new time clocks. Part of it requires a fingerprint. Is it legal for them to collect fingerprints from employees, or is it an invasion of my privacy. The company makes soft drinks. It isn't something that would require a high level of security such as a bank or a jewelry store.

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

There is currently no law making your finger print legally private for this sort of purpose. Employers all over have started adding these sorts of bio-recognition features and no court has yet ruled that it is illegal.

So, unfortunately, unless and until someone successfully takes this issue to a court high enough to get the attention of the Supreme Court, the rules on the issue are very disjointed.

So, as it stands, it is not presently illegal.