JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Government and private sector employment law experience
16110456

I was injured at work 10/7/2013. I had surgery on my left

I was injured at work 10/7/2013. I had surgery on my left wrist on 4/5/2013 by the hand orthopedic surgeon. I have a question about the workman compensation. they send me to a doctor for an independent medical evaluation before I had surgery. Now again they want me to see another doctor for another independent medical evaluation after surgery. I have been following up with my doctor after I had surgery. He says the my hand is ready to return to work. I have faxed all the doctor's excuse slip to my job. my hand is still very weak, I have pain in my wrist due to the excessive scaring, I get tingling in my fingers, I can't fully extend and flex my wrist. I am still getting therapy for my left wrist. What if this doctor the insurance has paid to do an independent medical evaluation says I should go back to work, what should I do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 1 year ago.

AttorneyJohnJ :

Hello, I am a professional here to assist you. I appreciate your use of this service.

AttorneyJohnJ :

What state are you in?

Customer:

I am in maryland

AttorneyJohnJ :

Ok

AttorneyJohnJ :

One second please

AttorneyJohnJ :

In essence, you are asking what happens if the employer's doctor provides a different opinion than your own?

Customer:

yes,than what my doctor says

AttorneyJohnJ :

In Maryland, this is not always clear. You are entitled to your own doctors opinion.

AttorneyJohnJ :

The employer can contest that if there provider has a differing opinion. You can wind up needing to take the issue up in court. The two opinions would need to be supported by the provides at that point.

AttorneyJohnJ :

The answer is that you are entitled to your own providers opinion.

Customer:

should I go to this doctor the insurance is sending me for the IME?

AttorneyJohnJ :

The insurer and employer are entitled to have you see their provider.

AttorneyJohnJ :

Yes.

Customer:

Do think I need a lawyer in this case

AttorneyJohnJ :

You would only need a lawyer if that provider gives a different opinion than your provider and the employer or insurer acts only on their provider's opinion.

Customer:

Thank you for your advice

AttorneyJohnJ :

Will you be so kind as to leave a positive service rating?

I would greatly appreciate it. I rely on excellent ratings and optional bonuses to provide this service.

Thank you and please have a great day. You will see an option to leave the rating on your screen.

If you have no other questions right now, you can follow-up later at your leisure. When you leave a service rating you end the live session.

After that, you can still follow-up here. The only difference is that this is not live.

Please let me know if you have any problems with the service rating system as this is vital to my contributions at this site.

Thank you again and please have a great day

JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer
Experience: Government and private sector employment law experience
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.