TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

I lost my promotion and when my pay was reduced my yearly raise

I lost my promotion and when my pay was reduced my yearly raise was also taken well it was put back three months later without back pay I was informed that I was still being paid at my promotion rate long after I lost it but I was still doing the same work required of my promotion can I still get my three months back pay?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

Can you explain a bit more about your situation?

Why did you lose your promotion?

If you lost your promotion, why were you required to do the same work you were asked to do when given your promotion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lost my promotion and was suspended for three days for having a relationship with an employee. Upon my return my supervisor and superintendent ask me 2 continue duties until someone is hired. Did these duties for eight and a half months.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.

Are you paid on salary or are you paid an hourly rate?

Do you have a contract with the employer which states your job duties and the amount you will be paid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An hourly rate and no contract just the title of your position.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

Let me start by saying that the law is very much on the side of the employer in almost every situation in this area of the law.

When you do not have a contract with the employer, you are considered an At Will Employee. An employee who falls under the At Will doctrine may have their job duties modified without notice by the employer without the need for the employer to change their rate of pay. The only thing that cannot happen is that the employer has to abide by overtime laws and must ensure that the employee is paid at least the minimum wage.

If your additional job duties did not result in you incurring overtime without being paid, then the employer has not violated the law, although the employer has definitely acted punitively towards you for your breach of work place policy.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience: Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination