TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

If work load gets low for a brief period of time, (2 weeks)

If work load gets low for a brief period of time, (2 weeks) am I required to do a reduction in force or can I simply cut work hours?

Unless you are going to lay-off the employee for good, then it is better to simply reduce the hours.

You are free to do either one under Georgia law. However, both will end up triggering the employees right to make an unemployment claim.

From a compliance standpoint, it will be much easier to simply reduce the hours of each employee rather than lay off and then rehire.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will I be required to provide any documentation to the employee for use in submitting an unemployment claim? Or is it the employee's responsibility?

No,

This will be the employee's responsibility.

-ZDN