How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw , Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I used to work for a company that I am still an equity owner

Resolved Question:

I used to work for a company that I am still an equity owner of. It was a very hostile relationship and they even attempted to sue me for breaching the non-compete clause. We settled out of court. However, I feel that the non-compete agreement is too restricting - 2 years and all of North America. I would like to challenge the non-compete and I would like to do so in my home state of Pennsylvania. The governing law clause in the agreement is Vermont but I would like to get them on my turf.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

There are two issues here that we need to address to begin with regarding your proposition.

The first is that you are stating that they attempted to sue you for the non-compete agreement, and you settled. If you have truly settled the non-compete issue, then you would be precluded from challenging it.

Did you enter into a written settlement agreement with them?

If so, do you have a copy of that agreement and would you mind either scanning it and attaching it to your answer; or putting it up on a public viewer on drop box; or emailing it [email protected] attn: zdnlaw re:

The second issue is that you want to sue them in Pennsylvania. Where you can sue a party is determined by whether or not the court has jurisdiction over that party. It may also be determined by a contractual agreement to make one state the venue for any dispute. So, the questions here are:

(1) does the contract specify that all disputes will be brought in a specific jurisdiction?

(2) Were you employed with this employer in Pennsylvania?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I settled, in writing, but I prefer not to post online. They claimed I was competing, I argued I wasn't, they bullied me a bit, end of story. The agreement states that the jurisdiction is Vermont, but for all 7 years I worked for the company, I worked in Pennsylvania, another employee still works here in Pennsylvania and I am an equity owner of the company, still located in Pennsylvania.


Are you saying by settling, I cannot go to court and request a reduction in the time (2 years vs. 1 year) on the non-compete?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.
Without reading the actual settlement agreement I cannot confirm that for you, but most likely it states that all disputes regarding the non-compete agreement are waived/released (or something similar thereto). This would prevent you from challenging the clause.

Also, if the agreement states that the jurisdiction for disputes is Vermont, then any challenge would have to take place in Vermont.

I would agree with you that most likely on its face, the geographic area of the non-compete agreement is overly broad. Your employer may be able to establish that North America in its entirety is truly its territory and that it would be harmed by your competition in it. This would be a question of fact for a Vermont jury to settle in a Declaratory Judgment Action (if you brought the lawsuit).

In regard to the time limitation, 2 years has been held by all courts in the US to be a reasonable period of time for non-competes, and they will enforce an agreement with this term if all the other parts of the clause are reasonable.

Thus, if you did not waive your ability to challenge the clause in the signed settlement agreement, you may still be able to challenge the clause in a Declaratory Judgment Action as it is overly broad geographically. It would be a good idea to take both the non-compete and the settlement agreement to an employment lawyer for a quick consultation.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,

TexLaw, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
TexLaw and 5 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I must thank you all for such a positive and knowledgeable Expert in your Employment Law category. She has provided much relief and answers for me in the midst of dealing with a case. I am totally pleased with her customer service and care. Mildred Washington, DC
< Previous | Next >
  • I must thank you all for such a positive and knowledgeable Expert in your Employment Law category. She has provided much relief and answers for me in the midst of dealing with a case. I am totally pleased with her customer service and care. Mildred Washington, DC
  • Excellent direction from Socrateaser to help me preserve and pursue my rights as a proud American who has become unemployed in this messed-up economic downfall. Thank you Happy Customer Denver, CO
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
  • Allen M., Esq.'s Avatar

    Allen M., Esq.

    Employment Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Employment/Labor Law Litigation
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
  • JB Umphrey's Avatar

    JB Umphrey


    Satisfied Customers:

    Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
  • John's Avatar


    Employment Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Exclusively practice labor and employment law.