Zachary
Zachary, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

Can a flight attendant get fired from doing a couple of porn

Can a flight attendant get fired from doing a couple of porn videos in the past? How do I handle myself around peers/coworkers, now that they know of what I did? Whats your advise on what to say and not to say?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

What state is your home base?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Honolulu, HI

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.

I think the best thing here is to start with an explanation of the law in this area and then discuss your case in particular. In Hawaii, and throughout the United States, employment law heavily favors the employer in most situations. Unless the employee has a contract which provides that the employee may only be terminated for cause, the law will hold that the employee's right to work falls under the At Will Doctrine. The At Will Doctrine provides that an employer may terminate an employee for any reason whatsoever, even if it is a false reason. The only limitation on this is that an employer may not terminate an employee because of discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, military status, national origin, disability, age, or ancestry of the employee.

Often times, flight attendants do actually have employment contracts. Sometimes the employment contract may contain a "morality clause."

Do you have an employment contract?

If so, have you reviewed to see if there is a "morality clause" in the contract?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What and how do i handle myself when asked that question at work with coworkers?
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
I can certainly see that this could be a difficult and embarrassing topic to handle.

Legally, the discussion of the topic by your co-workers could constitute sexual harassment.

I recommend telling them "I do not feel comfortable discussing this subject with co-workers and ask that you respect my right to privacy." Be firm and insistent about it and repeat that you will not discuss this with co-workers because it is not appropriate.

If your co-workers harass you about your past work history in the pornography field, you can make a claim with HR for sexual harassment.
Zachary, Lawyer
Experience: Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another question, I pay my dues to the union and since I'm covered by the union, would it be in my best interest to tell them of the situation? Right now it's just coworkers gossiping about it and I'm afraid that it could get out of hand and the company/management could find out. I don't wanna open up a can of worms by mentions this to higher ups so what's your take as to what i should do?