wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

Is it against the law to discriminate against a group of employees

Customer Question

Is it against the law to discriminate against a group of employees and have them do all the work while the others are being favored, allowed to do whatever they want, and given raises to, just because they were hired by her brother? (they both own company but he is no longer there)
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 1 year ago.

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

Is this due to the employees race, gender, age, religion or national origin?

Customer:

Hard to say and therefore prove. There is a mixrure of us. But what we all hace in common is that we were all hired by the brother who she hates.

wallstreetfighter :

Under the law, only discrimination based on an employees civil rights is protected,

wallstreetfighter :

if you can claim that the employer is doing this due to the employees gender, or race, you can file a discrimination case,

wallstreetfighter :

however if this is done due to the fact the employer does not like the employees, that is not protected under the law,

wallstreetfighter :

The only option the employees may have is a possible constructive discharge lawsuit, where the employees, sue the employer for a constructive discharge,

wallstreetfighter :

that is where the employees sue the employer for creating a toxic work environment, where the employees feel they have no other option but to resign or quit,

Customer:

We have to quit first?

wallstreetfighter :

In these types of situations, you would have to quit, however, before you do this, I would consider having an attorney send a letter to the employer threatening legal action if the conditions do not improve,

wallstreetfighter :

many times,

wallstreetfighter :

the employer will change, if they feel the employees will bring legal action,

Customer:

And if so all of us or can I just do it individually?

wallstreetfighter :

the employees could join together and sue the employer,

Customer:

Has to be whole group? Or can I do this on my own?

wallstreetfighter :

no, it does not have to be the whole group,

wallstreetfighter :

each employee can bring their own lawsuit if they wish.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you so VERY much. You're the best

wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience: 14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any recomendations of who would take my case? I am in San Francisco?
We cannot refer attorneys, however you will find an attorney by going to the local bar association,

http://www.sfbar.org/