TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination

I am employed as a salary plus commission sales person in the

I am employed as a salary plus commission sales person in the state of New York (my company's head office resides there). My employer is an at will employment company.
My residence is Virgina and I work remotely.
I have given my employer 2 weeks notice of my decision to leave the firm.
If they ask me to leave immediately, are they obligated to pay me my salary for the 2 weeks notice period?
If yes, how do I enforce my entitlement. Thx
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

New York employment law does not have a mandatory notice provision. Unless you have a notice provision stated in writing in an employment contract which you have with the employer or if the employer has this as a stated employment policy in an employee handbook/manual, then the law treats you as an at-will employee and the employer may decide to accept terminate you upon your resignation immediately without the need to pay your salary through the notice period.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,