Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

Im being harrassed at work. Im in a protected class. I compained

I'm being harrassed at work. I'm in a protected class. I compained and my boss's boss told me that he sat down with HR and my boss and told my boss in front of HR that people needed to be treated equally. Is this an admission of discrimination?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, it is not quite an admission. The employer would argue that this was simply an affirmation and an assurance of proper professional behavior at work. It only becomes an admission if your name was used as an example of what behavior is not permitted, or the acts that you were exposed to were used as examples of what is not permitted. Anything else is not direct enough to be traced to your specific situation and is therefore not a direct admission. The reason for this is usually public policy--the courts want parties to be able to make changes or repairs without it being taken against them as some sort of an admission. This is the same (or rather similar) logic which also does not permit parties to use settlement offers as examples of one party taking liability for the action. The courts want parties to communicate, make repairs, or negotiate without fear of having such information be used against them in this manner.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your follow-up. Please allow me to directly reply to your subsequent post:

Is the same person with the admission question. I'm going for a second interview with HR I have extensive instances where i was harassed. What would be my next step?

The next step, if harassment has not been curbed or in any way stopped against you, and your spoke with HR over it, is to then go outside the company and file a grievance with the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). The EEOC, if they find merit in your complaint, would issue you a 'right to sue' letter which you would then be able to take to local counsel, retain their services, and file suit against the employer for your damages.

Hope that helps! If satisfied, please do not forget to positively rate my answers to you so that I may obtain credit for my work. Thank you!

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.