wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I have been a female employee of a male dominated company for

Customer Question

I have been a female employee of a male dominated company for 6 years. My work record has been excellent. I have not been in any disciplinary action nor have I had any incidents or write ups. I have had an accomplished carreer at this company up until a few months ago. In December of 2012 I had to file for company disability because I had a nervous breakdown due to stress at work which had been documented by my doctors. I felt I was in a hostile environment due to false rumors that were being spread about my "extracurricular activities" with a co-worker. My husband worked for the same company. Because of the rumors, my marriage has suffered, my husband has lost his job and while I was out on DB I was placed in the highest level of disciplinary action that the company has. The union is fighting it but, because of the disciplinary action and the time out on disability I have been denied job roles that would further advance my career here. I am now dealing with a high level of anxiety every time I walk through the entrance. Quitting is out of the question because since my husband was terminated, mine is the only income. I am now faced with increasing debt and my home mortgage has become unaffordable which has increased my stress and anxiety level. What are my options legally?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 1 year ago.

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

This is an unfortunate situation, do you feel you disability or gender may be the reason as well for the employers treatment?

Customer:

no, I do not. This is a large company so I do believe that they are sticking as close to the legal line as possible.

wallstreetfighter :

If you do not feel discrimination is a reason, your legal options are limited, since you have a Union representing your interests, that is good, however, you may want to retain a private attorney to send a letter to the employer threatening legal action,

wallstreetfighter :

The attorney can threaten a defamation case, or a discrimination case, and that may force the employer to stop there negative actions,

Customer:

Unfortunately, I have to leave work now so I am not "stealing" time. Is there a way for you to answer my question by email ?

wallstreetfighter :

yes, I will send an email,

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
4:30 PM

I would also consider filing a disability discrimination case against them as well,

To file a claim with the EEOC, contact your local EEOC office below. More information about filing a claim with the EEOC can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/howtofil.html.
EEOC — New Orleans District Office XXXXX
Suite 600
New Orleans, LANNN-NN-NNNN
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
TTY:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience: 14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just viewed both my area personnel file and also my HR personnel file and did not find any negative or derogatory remarks or reports in either one. The company claims that I had been "coached" concerning "repeated workplace distractions, disruptions, drama, safety issues, and additional safety-related expenditures as a result of her ongoing conduct and marital discord." yet, there is no proof of either my being negligent in my job performance or attendance record. Basically, my job record and history is squeaky clean. The company has no proof of either my "bad behavior" or their "coaching or discipline". Do I have any legal stance concerning that?

If they state these items to future employers you would have a defamation case against the employers, you should also bring this issue up to the Union, and have the employer justify these statements about you.