Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I work as a nurse and last January a confused patient made

I work as a nurse and last January a confused patient made an accusation that I had touched her inappropriately and even though it was never proven that I did, the hospital terminated me because they felt I wasn't being careful when I went into the patient's room by myself. When I asked the human resources VP how this would affect my profession, she said it wouldn't because I was never accused of any crime and my license is still good. And the details of my termination will not be divulged. Couple of months later I found work as a traveling nurse and was doing great until my contract suddenly got cancelled by the hospital I was working in. I learned that somehow they obtained the information about my termination from the previously hospital I worked for. My question is did my previous employer break any labor laws and can I hold them liable for me losing my current contract?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Legally, an employer is not bound by confidentiality in disclosing true reasons for termination of an employee unless they have a written contract with the former employee to keep it confidential. Thus, as long as the employer discloses the truth about an incident leading to termination, they have not violated any laws I am afraid.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 20+ Years of Employment Law Experience