Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.

My Husband works as a code enforcement officer for the city.

My Husband works as a code enforcement officer for the city. On more than one occation folks in prenominant positions, city fire marshal, city builders and at the city council publically announced "I'm surprised someone has not shot you by now. Or "You better watch your back, folks get shot in this town. City Manager heard this and the Building official my husbands boss. At this point he needs his job but is reluctant to stay. He is currently working 2 hours from home and feeling very nervous as he has never heard these kinds of comments before. Are there any legal recourses, just walking away puts our family in dire straights financially.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am genuinely sorry to hear that your spouse is in this situation. I must ask, however--did he believe them to be making a threat or making a poorly timed joke? My answer to you could differ based on your clarification. Please advise.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My husband does not believe this is a poorly timed joke. He has also discovered his boss has been threaten as well.

Thank you for your follow-up.

That does make a difference. What your husband is potentially experiencing is called a 'hostile work environment'. Under such a claim an employee, if it can be shown that the workplace is unreasonable hostile and dangerous to any reasonable person, can choose to quit and contact unemployment to seek benefits. Typically voluntary termination or resignations do not permit parties to seek benefits but in cases of a provable hostile workplace, the state can still grant the benefits to that individual. In terms of criminal charges, it really is a fairly tough claim to prove, since it comes down to 'he said/she said'. Consequently I doubt the state would seek charges. But he can most definitely attempt to get out from this poisonous atmosphere.

Good luck.