TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination

does a employer have to pay a employee un used vacation time

does a employer have to pay a employee un used vacation time if he quits in the state of Virginia?

Thank you for your question.

Virginia law only requires that an employer must honor its agreements regarding accrued vacation time. Thus, if the employer has a written policy that it will pay an employee for unused accrued vacation time when the employee leaves, then Virginia law require the employer to honor that policy. If the employer does not have a policy like this, then Virginia law does not require the employee to be paid for accrued vacation time when the employee terminates employment.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,