Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

I work in Philadelphia, Pa. I am thinking of quitting my job

I work in Philadelphia, Pa. I am thinking of quitting my job without giving two weeks notice. Is there a law in Pennsylvania about whether or not my employer is obligated to pay me my unused vacation time?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I am a Pennsylvania licensed professional.

To answer directly, PA law defers to whatever policy your company has posted pertaining to accrued and earned vacation time. Some companies absorb that time if it is unused and are not required to pay out obligations while others formally stated that any time earned is yours, meaning that at quitting time you can demand a payment for those hours. Either is legal and either is enforceable. You would need to review your own employee handbook and your internal policies to see which policy your company follows. If no policy is listed, the default is that the company has to pay you for your vacation days that you accrued but did not use up.

Good luck.