Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My brother who is an equipment operator for a construction

My brother who is an equipment operator for a construction company, was written up for violation of company policy, (Damage to a construction site while using equipment), his punishment - Written up for the incident and sent home for 3 days without pay.

As I am a manager for this company and it was on my project, the operations manger said that this punishment was based on already setting precedence. I appeared to be legit, however now he has come back and now the company has informed him that he can no longer operate equipment.

This additional punishment, has never happened - he was gone for 5 days (thru weekend) with now indication of this additional punishment. Is this legal..?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Does your company have a union contract with the employees?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Non Union Company

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is a non-union company.

Thank you for your additional information and your response.

I am sorry to hear this is a non-union company because with it being a non-union company that means all of the employees are at will employees. This means that the employer is free to discipline an employee as they see fit and also can stop them from working particular tasks. The refusal to allow him to continue to operate machines in the future is not looked at as discipline, it is looked as legally protecting the company from future damage and it is looked at as the employer's discretion as an at will employer. The only caveat to this would be that the employer cannot take action against any employee based solely on the age/race/sex/disability of the employee and if they are taking this action based on this reason then your brother has grounds to file a complaint with the EEOC and get a right to sue letter to pursue the company for discrimination. However, absent age/race/sex/disability discrimination an at will employer has the right to take any action they choose against an employee and there is no such thing in employment law about "double jeopardy" or double punishment for an at will employer and the only legal recourse he has here is to appeal the decision to the employer to allow him to operate the equipment again or to at least send him to a safety school before allowing him to continue to operate the equipment and as it is an at will employer, sadly this is the employer's discretion.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Paul,

Thank you very much for your service, this was very helpful as I have never been in a situation like this working for a company. With that said, my opinions do not mean much, I thank you for your time and service.

Thank you for your kind words. I am sorry that the at will employment laws are not very favorable. Please do not forget to click on excellent service feedback as that is the only way the experts receive credit for time spent with customers.