Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

Thank you very much Ray! The most important part of my question

Thank you very much Ray! The most important part of my question was how long I can wait before applying? Do you know if there is a statute of limitations in Massachusetts after being laid off within which I MUST apply for unemployment before losing the benefits which I start hunting for jobs? Thank you. Jeff

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your follow up here.You can wait a couple of weeks but your wages on file eventually deteriorate .It goes by quarters.A couple of weeks here will not matter but I would not delay this too much.Once you have completed your planned trip you would want to file.That way you are still eligible but your trip does not cause you problems.You don't want to be caught here out of town and risk denial of benefits.As long as you don't wait too long there will not be problems.Good luck with the trip and locating another job here.

RayAnswers :

I appreciate the chance to help you and for your patience.

RayAnswers :

You have a good plan not to interrupt your trip and file upon your return here.

RayAnswers :

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.

This communication does not establish an attorney client relationship here.Information provided is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

Customer: My wages will deteriotate.... How quickly? I will not be back from my trip until the middle of July because I am not leaving until jury 5th
Customer: what does not getting caught out of state mean? If I am actively job hunting and leave the state I cannot leave massachusettes for a day or two.
RayAnswers :

This should not be a problem here but I just wanted you to understand that you don't want to wait too long because your

RayAnswers :

UI benefits are based on wages on file and eventually your wages would disappear, this works by work quarters.You can contact them and give them a for instance--tell them you may not be laid off until end of July and see if that is a problem.I do not have access to the wage history.But a short terms delay here should not affect you.

RayAnswers :

Here is reference.

RayAnswers :

Here is contact information.Here since you haven't filed you can contact and ask them, verify that there is no effect on you by delaying..

RayAnswers :

Unemployment claim status, general eligibility,
benefit checks, claim issues/adjudication617-626-6800
877-626-6800

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your patience and letting me help you today.

RayAnswers :

Customer: Ray, you say a short delay should note be a problem. Is six weeks a short delay? Tx. Jeff

Let me add here that you have to be available for work here.If you are out of state you can have eligibility problems if they find out.People do it all the time but there is risk here, just wanted you to know.

MA words it like this.

Unemployment Insurance is a temporary income protection program for workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own but are able to work, available for work and looking for work.

Thanks for letting me help you and I wish you good luck with your claim here.