wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I was not sure as to which category my question fit: I am

I was not sure as to which category my question fit:
I am up for consideration for a merit increase. However the HR department has informed me (in writing) that they cannot find my performance appraisal. This is considered a confidential document. I have been asked to bring my copy in. Can I be passed over for a merit increase because the HR department cannot find my appraisal? Is it my responsibility to provide my copy to them? Thank you.

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

This is an unfortunate situation, under the law, in NC a promotion or merit increase is regulated and determined by the employer,

wallstreetfighter :

if the employer wants an appraisal copy from you, you would have to provide it to them for the increase, unless you are a Union employee, or a contract employee, where the terms of promotion are outlined, NC does not provide you any rights in this regards.

Customer:

Thank you.