Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

Is there any way to fight a termination with out cause con

Is there any way to fight a termination with out cause contract

Thank you for your question. However, in order to assist you properly I will need some brief background to your question. Are you saying that someone has offered you a job that has a contract that says they can terminate you without cause or are you saying you are being terminated without cause? If there is a written contract, does it say the employment relationship can be terminated by either party without cause? Please provide any more detail that might help put your question in context.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it dose say by either party but could there be any reason we could fight this if they are doing something wrong
Hello again and thank you for your reply. However, I still need the information I asked for. In other words, I need to know that exact situation and what is happening that brought about this question. Please take a look at my initial questions again. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there is to much to write down not a real good typer can you call on phone(NNN) NNN-NNNN
I am so sorry but this is the only method that we are allowed to communicate. I don't necessarily need all the detailed facts, since I can't give you legal advice, but I do need enough so that I can see what the main issue is that brought this question about and exactly what you mean by a "contract." Can you at least tell me what it is that your employer is doing that is doing that is wrong?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
she is being railroaded by crap and lies but you cant give me any reason why someone would be able to fight this
Hello again Marlin,

I was attempting to find out the facts, so I could tell you if you can fight a termination. The law doesn't function in a vacuum, so facts are always necessary. I can tell you what the general law is as it relates to contracts or employment arrangements that are "at will." That is what termination without cause means. It means that an employer (or employee) may terminate a contract for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning. However, there are some exceptions. Those are if there is a contract or company policy that says the employee has more rights to retain their job. In your case, I am guessing there is no since you say you have a contract that says you can be terminated without cause. The only other exception is that the employer cannot terminate an employee simply because the employee is a member of a protected class under employment discrimination laws or in retaliation for the employee filing a wage complaint with the State, a worker's compensation claim, or for FMLA.

So, if your situation fits into one of the exceptions I mentioned, you might have legal recourse by way of a wrongful termination suit. However, if it doesn't then you have no recourse, as the contract, and the general law of Michigan is employment "at will."

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.