wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits

My boss wants to demote me from me assistant manager position

My boss wants to demote me from me assistant manager position because I leave early a couple days a week due to my chronic abdominal pain that I'm on intermittent FMLA for. Can he do that?

wallstreetfighter : Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification
wallstreetfighter : This is an unfortunate situation,
wallstreetfighter : if your employer is retaliating against you for taking FMLA, and that is the reason for the demotion, you are protected by the Federal law.
wallstreetfighter : Under the FMLA rules, an employer cannot retaliate against any employee who has taken FMLA.
wallstreetfighter : U.S. Department of Labor (DOL)ESA Wage & Hour DivisionSalt Lake City District Office10 East South Temple, Suite 1680Salt Lake City, UT 84133Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>
wallstreetfighter : You can file a complaint with the DOL,
wallstreetfighter : and even consider hiring an employment attorney about a possible lawsuit.
<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer: He said that I have excellent work ethics except for when I am ill. I'm in constant pain 24/7 and just because I leave maybe 4-5 hours out of my 40 hour work week that I am not doing my job. Just because I'm in pain he wants to get rid of me. I transferred to this store from another and had no problems at my other one. He said he would have never taken me if he knew about this "problem." I don't know what to do.
wallstreetfighter : You should advise him that you are on FMLA, and that any demotion is against the law,
wallstreetfighter : you can file a complaint with the DOL as well, and they should stop him from doing this.
wallstreetfighter : Another option is that if you have a disability, under the ADA, which is the americans with disabilities act, an employer cannot discriminate against you, and must create a job for you to do.
Customer: I'm really scared about losing my job. I work really hard for what I have and I hide my pain from most people because I don't want them to treat me differently. At least I know that I have options now. Thanks.
wallstreetfighter : You have legal protections,
wallstreetfighter : and they cannot do this if you are on FMLA.
wallstreetfighter : Send a letter to hr, and the manager about your rights, and they should try to settle with you
Customer: Okay, thank you so much!