Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I work for a tree trimming company working for public utilities.

I work for a tree trimming company working for public utilities. The woman is extremely upset about the trees being trimmed. I did not know this at the time I inquired about the car. We talked for a couple of minutes and what I thought was a harmless conversation turned into me asking her to dinner and not taking no for an answer. I do not know where I was during that part, but she certainly put that on "twitter". The president of the utility got ahold of it some how(the twitter thing), and called my company president and I was immediately suspended. For the company to continue working on the property, I guess they threw me to the wolves. Now with all this happening, I have no income. I moved 841mi to take this job-now .....

Thank you for the information, however, I am not sure what your legal question is, can you clarify that for me? Are you in a union? Are you saying that you didn't ask this person out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what recourse do I have, if any? is this slander or liable or some type of defamation? I am basically out of work because this woman took the conversation and me being polite way out of context. dinner was mentioned during the conversation but not directly asking her out to dinner. the comment of "everybody has to eat, lets go" was said but no intention of any type of dinner date.
Hello again, I still need to know if you are in a union and also whether she has said anything that is absolutely false?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you. I am not union. dinner was in the conversation but not the way she stated. I cannot find anyone who will even tell me exactly what was said. and still I have been removed from my work.
Thank you Rick. Well in order to have a defamation of action suit against this woman, she would have had to make a false statement of fact about you that damaged your reputation. If she interpreted your intent or the context, then that is not defamation/slander/libel. It must be an actual false statement. If you think she did, then you need to sit down with a local personal injury attorney who handles non-physical injury torts (which is what defamation of character is) to discuss your case in detail to see if they think you have a case that has a chance of success.

In terms of your job, as you may know, SC is an employment "at will" state. That means that an employer may take any adverse employment action they deem appropriate, including termination, for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning unless the action would violate an employment contract, company policy, or employment discrimination law. That wouldn't make it necessarily fair, but it would be legal.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you. my experiences with this company would have me leave on my own terms before now had it not have been for the rest of my family doing without my income. now, I guess it really doesn't matter.....
Well, hopefully this works out better than you anticipate. You are welcome and best of luck to you!