Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.

I manage a private 9 hole golf operation...recently due to

Customer Question

I manage a private 9 hole golf operation...recently due to declining rounds and income the club cut back my staff so I now manage one 40 hour (full time) employee plus one 10 hour employee. I was told to take up the slack ( actually told they didn't care if I worked 70+ hours a week) but that was all the help I am getting. Am I not required to manage at least two full time employees to qualify for umlimited hours. Also, the one 40 hour employee is on salary but does not work over 40 hours with no power to hire and we have two problems here? .Thanks
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer your questions directly, there is no "two full time employee" limitation on a management position listing--so long as you have managerial authority, ability to supervise, and the ability to control their behavior, it is a managerial duty. While hiring and firing is a very important factor of most managers, it is simply one of many factors that are evaluated prior to having the individual be listed as a manager or as an employee. While you can contact your state's Department of Labor to see if you were mis-labeled, purely going by your facts I do not yet see that as the case.

Good luck.