Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

I am under threat of dismissal. The reason given is that our

I am under threat of dismissal. The reason given is that our CEO feels I do not respect or trust him and that does not trust me. I met will all my peers last week and received a universal endorsement that they wanted to continue working with me and that they felt I had great value to offer the company.

I am COO. The CEO is new. I disagree with some of his actions in particular and elements of his approach in general. I feel I have a duty to say so. I greatly appreciate other aspects of his approach.

My employment contract is "at will". We have an unwritten policy of one week per year severance. I have been there 4 years. We just raised a fresh round of funding after a long period of financial stress which no-one would disagree I was instrumental in getting us through.

Does it sound like I have a case for unfair dismissal? Uder what kinds of grounds and what section of the law?

I am 57.

Thank you for the information and your question. As you mentioned, Oregon is an employment "at will" state. That means that an employer may terminate an employee for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning unless the termination would violate an employment contract, company policy, or employment discrimination law. So, unless you are saying that your employer would be violating a company policy by terminating you or is targeting you simply because you are a member of a protected class, then there would be no legal recourse for your termination. In other words, your employer has the right to be arbitrary and unfair in their decision to terminate within the restrictions of the exceptions I mentioned.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.