TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

I am a nurse aid who works through an agency. The family of

I am a nurse aid who works through an agency. The family of the agency's client I currently work with has requested to look at my pay check to verify the overtime amount they are paying to the agency has actually been received by me.

Is it legal for me to show the family my paychecks? Could the agency fire me or take legal action against me if I show them my pay checks?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

If you show your paychecks to the family, then you could theoretically be fired if that is your employer's policy. There is nothing inherently illegal about showing your paychecks to the family, however. In other words, it's not a crime. But if your employer has a policy against it, and if you violate that policy, then you can certainly be terminated.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So your saying there might be a chance I could get fired, but they can't take me to court. I ask because should the family find they are taking overtime money from them and not paying me the correct amount due me in overtime, the family will take recourse on them and then the agency will know I showed them my paychecks.
Hi again.

You haven't mentioned anything that leads me to believe that there would be a reason that your employer would sue you, even if you showed your paychecks.

But, yes, you could get fired if you show your paychecks.