Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of practice.
17897874

I was told by one of our corporations upper management personnel

Customer Question

I was told by one of our corporation's upper management personnel to provide info about a certain employee of his attendance and judgement and was told not to say anything about it. That means not talking to my direct bosses. My bosses found out once Human Resources got involved and had a meeting with with me and another guy that was involved with this request from upper management and drew up an organization chart on meeting board. After drawing it up they firmly said that upper management personell is not involved with our facility when in fact our employee web page that shows the org structure shows that upper management person is above our bosses.
My question is was I in the wrong for providing information to the upper management personell or should I have been insubordinate and told my bosses after being told not to? There are some pretty angry people at my work now and not sure if my job is in jeopary now? Please help with any info. Thanks
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to provide an honest and accurate answer to your question.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful.

Do you have a written employment agreement?

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you mean signed off on reading the employee hand book then yes.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

No, an employee usually contains a disclaimer and is not treated as a written employment contract.

At the onset, I can tell you, from the facts presented. You have done nothing wrong. You are not in a position to disobey upper management. You were literally placed into a no win situation, but there was nothing, in your position, that you could have done.

However, without a written employment contract you are deemed an at-will employee. As such, your employment may be terminated for any reason (or no reason), so long as it does not violate your civil rights (illegal discrimination, for example). Therefore, even though you did noting illegal or improper, it is still possible for the employer to terminate you employment and not be illegal or improper.

It has been my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further assistance.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Loren, Lawyer
Experience: 30 years of practice.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name - JudgeLaw

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.