Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

is the decision of Cohan vs Lowes in California usable in

is the decision of Cohan vs Lowe's in California usable in under New York labor law? Not sure if its Cohan or Cohen. It was a class action suit regarding mispayment of commissions and spiffs.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The case is Cohen v. Lowes HIW, Case No. 8:10-cv-00425, Central District of CA and it is a federal district court decision approving a settlement agreement. Settlements cannot be used against a party to prove they are liable in another case. Thus, as it is a settlement of a class action it cannot be used as any type of precedent in any other court case.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
For PaulMJD... Understanding that the settlement cannot be used in another case, my question is whether the Calif. labor code which was claimed as the basis of the case can be referenced to a counterpart, similar code in NY State. In other words, would there be a NY labor code on which to build a case for employees of Lowe's in NY State?
Thank you for your new question.

Article 6 of the NY Labor Law Section 191B and 191C cover commissioned employees.