Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

i got case summary from the NH court and here is my question

Customer Question

i got case summary from the NH court and here is my question :

in Disposition it says : 1.Simple assault - Finding Guilty
in Sentence it says: 1.Simple assault - Sentence converted from sustain

does that mean I was convicted or not ? I need to know how to answer job appliacation .
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The sentence means that it was suspended, but it does not indicate if the charge was subsequently dismissed. You must actually review the court file, not just the computer record to determine what the final disposition was and if the court dismissed the charge subsequent you to completing the sentence. Until you confirm that by going to the court and looking in the court record, based on what you just posted above you still have to disclose you were convicted.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure if you got my response .
I have received record from the COURT .all case summary and dockets what do you need to look at?
Thank you, this is the first response I received.

In your case file you need to look at the original sentence of the court and see what it states your sentence was and you then also need to look at any entries in the file after the completion of whatever your sentence was. If you can look at those two things and let me know we can work on this further with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would the DOCKET have that ? There is a lot of hand written information on that .
The docket master only contains very cursory information and it would have brief notes, which are abbreviated, that would indicate dates and actions taken on those dates, but the court file itself has the actual details of what action was taken. So you can reference the docket for dates of actions, but the court files are what really need to be examined to know what the action details were. You said your attorney states you were charged, have they reviewed the entire file, because any attorney to know the proper answer to your question would have to actually look at that file or you would have to read that actual file?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have regested from the Court my criminal files based on the docket number my attorney gave me and I have received only copy of dockets and case summary not any original sentence. that means that I have not received everything or I asked for wrong records?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would that be ok to check: Official USA State New Hampshire
Criminal Background Records website
to see what they actually have there on me ?
Thank you for your response.

Yes, it means you might have asked for the wrong records, you needed to ask for the sentencing order and any subsequent amending orders. However, it is always best to actually go to the court clerk's office to actually look at the file in person as that truly is the only way to know what is going on with your case for certain.

You can go to the NH state police, not background check website and get a records check to see what their record shows, because that is the official record. However, you still need to know what your original sentence was and if the sentence and charge was subsequently dismissed.