Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Two weeks ago, my supervisor pulled me into his office and

Two weeks ago, my supervisor pulled me into his office and said that I was too nice and too eager to please and it needed to stop. (We have been short handed and I have been doing my job plus the HR supervisor job until a new one could be hired). I took his advice. Today, he pulls me into his office again and says that my co-worker has complained that I talk to him too much and either he wanted me to not speak to him about any other topic but work or wanted to be moved.
At this point, I know I am being harassed. What can I do? Should I just try to transfer or should I find another job and quit?
Good afternoon and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I am truly sorry to hear about these unfortunate circumstances at work and can certainly understand why you are frustrated.

Do you believe there is an ulterior discriminatory motivation for the treatment you are experiencing, such as your race, religion, gender, or something else?

I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, I am female in a all male office.

Thank you very much for your reply. Given that you are in an all-male office, it would seem that your gender may indeed be playing a role in this poor treatment. If you believe that your gender is a motiviation for the unfair treatment you are experiencing, then you may have a claim for gender based discrimination which you can pursue through the EEOC or the Texas Workforce Commission.

Absent a gender-based motive or other discriminatory motive, however, the conduct that you describe, while incredibly frustrating is not illegal, as there is no law mandating fairness or civility in the workplace.

Thus, there would appear to be three options under the circumstances you descirbe--file a complaint for gender based discrimination with either of the agencies named above, attempt to lodge a complaint with HR or your manager's supervisor regarding their unfair treatment of you but deal with things as a non-discrimination issue, or leave your job.

For information on how to bring a claim through the Texas Workforce Commission, visit this link: For information on how to bring a claim through the EEOC, visit this link:

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.