Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I wrote a letter within 2 days of being let go from my job

I wrote a letter within 2 days of being let go from my job asking them to tell me in writing the reason for my termination. I also requested any and all records that they held on me in my personell files. How much time do they get to responds?
Hello and welcome,

Yes, the employer must typically provide you with copies or the right to access your personnel files within 7 days of receiving your request if the files are stored in the state, or 14 days if stored outside of the state pursuant to MN law.

Here is a link which summarizes the law:

With regard to your request for a reason for your termination, the employer normally has 10 days to comply with that request. Here is a link to a site which provides this information:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10). It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again.