Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

Does a severance agreement make you not eligible to collect

Does a severance agreement make you not eligible to collect unemployment compensation?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What additional information do you need?
Hello again, Vernon. I don't need any additional information from you at this time. Thanks. Here is your answer:

The law in FL has been modified on this issue. Currently, severance pay is considered a disqualifying income if the claimant’s severance pay per week is equal to or greater than his or her weekly benefit amount. Therefore, if you receive more severance pay than benefits in a week, you would not typically be eligible for unemployment benefits for that week.

If a claimant is receiving severance pay while also receiving unemployment benefits, then the claimant may be subject to criminal prosecution, so you must report any severance being received to the unemployment commission.

Here is a link which summarizes the law on this issue:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So do I file after the severance ends on June 1st?
Hello again, Vernon.

You could file now, but report when severance is paid so your benefits should begin after the severance payments terminate.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10). It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again.