Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

I worked or Chase Bank and basically resigned due to uncomfortable

Customer Question

I worked or Chase Bank and basically resigned due to uncomfortable working environment, harrassment, as well as unethical behavior on behalf of my manager. I am writting appeals letter but not sure what to put in it. My denial says I did not get unemployment just because I did not get along with my boss, which there is way more to the story.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you this morning.

I see that you have a few questions. What are they?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I did not realize tha that the appeal I was submitting in Georgia was 15 days from the mail date, will they deny my appeal. should have been there Monday the 13th and I am sending tomorrow. It says it was mailed on 4/26, but no way because I didnt get the letter until April 3rd

I resigned from my job that I loved at Chase Bank because of the hostile work enviroment and the uncomfortable enviroment it created for the other employees as well.

My boss was very unethical, she moved an account I opened to rep that was on Maternity leave so she could meet her goals. so basically she took money out of my pocket and broke bank policies. Spoke to HR who never replied. Have all correspondence and also talked to District Manager. The list of harrassing things is long, but I am not sure what to focus on in appeal letter. Unemployment was denied for difficulity with manager. Just not sure how to approcah. Do I send all my emails and supporting documents
Thank you for your follow-up, Kim. Please allow me to respond to your request line by line.

If I did not realize tha that the appeal I was submitting in Georgia was 15 days from the mail date, will they deny my appeal.
Yes, they most likely will deny it. Those deadlines are fairly rigid, they can be extended in cases of emergency or proof that you were out of the country (for example). But if there is no good cause, that is, you misread the deadline or did not understand the limits, it is not generally a valid excuse.

should have been there Monday the 13th and I am sending tomorrow. It says it was mailed on 4/26, but no way because I didnt get the letter until April 3rd
I assume you meant May 3rd. In any case if you have the post-mark on the letter itself showing the wrong date, then you can claim yu weren't given your mandated time and request that the deadline be extended--that is a valid request.

What you are describing does not quite rise to hostile work environment levels. I will explain what I mean below.

"Difficulty" with the manager is generally not enough. To prove that this was a legitimate 'hostile work environment', the environment had to ahve been so unhealthy and so toxic that any reasonable individual would have quit as the atmosphere made your job impossible to perform. That is a fairly high standard for you to attain. To do so you need to point to specific acts toward you that were hostile, unfair, and violated company policy. That is what you need to focus on, and you can attach those specific offending documents to your appeal, provided that those documents were used by you in the initial petition. I am not stating you have no grounds for this type of case, your language so far is not reflecting it. Examples of a hostile work environment may be a boss who berates you verbally over your age, gender, race, religion, national origin, creed, or disability if any, or uses those criteria to put you down against other employees. Taking your work away from you is not really a hostile work environment, not exactly, as an employer can chose to give or take projects from employees.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If working in an environment where its something different everyday. From calling me in office off the ph with a customer telling me I must have some kind of issue or be high and tell me my speech slurred and to call our HR Help Dept. I was on the phone with a customer who would swear under oath that I he was frustrated bec he was talking over me. i had 3 open HR complants, etc. How can you work for someone you cant even talk to Besides all the harrassment she gave me aout my FMLA,Phys therapy, being placed on a rx for a anexity.
Thank you fr your follow=up.

Harassment and hostile work environment claims do not have be identical and similar even to one another to be valid. The atmosphere simply has to be pervasive. Talking over you is not likely to be hostile but discussing your personal information, treating you differently over your disability, and defaming your status are potentially hostile.

Good luck.