Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.

i work for a company that has three hourly work shifts an 8

i work for a company that has three hourly work shifts an 8 hour shift a 10, and a 12. an 8 hour shift gets 40 minutes of break per shift, the 10 hour shift gets 50 minutes of break per shift, and the 12 hour shift gets 80 minutes of break per shift, my question is there a web site i could find out how much break is supposed to be given at different hourly schedules and how long of break to be given? the reason i would like a web site is to prove to them once i have the information i would need to prove to my employer what the laws were.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Break times may differ from state to state. Laws generally govern employers up to 8 hours (where a mandated break has to be provided). Beyond that period the employer has discretion. If you are located in Tennessee, then go to the Tennessee Department of Labor and go to the link below. Here is the relevant section:

Isn't my employer required to provide breaks and a meal period?
State law requires that each employee scheduled to work six (6) consecutive hours must have a thirty (30) minute meal or rest period, except in workplace environments that by their nature of business provides for ample opportunity to rest or take an appropriate break. The failure to give a (30) minute meal or rest period is a violation of State law only. There are no State or Federal requirements for additional breaks. The Federal Law does require breaks of less than 30 minutes in duration to be paid if the employer chooses to grant such breaks. Title 50-2-103 (h)

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.