wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits

I got a job offer which is great but is "This offer is contingent

Customer Question

I got a job offer which is great but is "This offer is contingent upon a mandatory security background check." and the KROLL form states they they may check my credit. The KROLL form is seems like a standard form but I am fine for criminal and driving but credit report is worrisome. I need to provide 2 week notice at my current job but can't afford to be out of work. I am not sure what to do. One hand the offer letter says "security background check" but the KROLL letter covers all sorts of things including credit and interviews. I am not sure what the right answer is. I am really scared and happy at the same time.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 1 year ago.

wallstreetfighter : Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification
wallstreetfighter : Do you have any past bankruptcy issues or judgments?
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Wisconsin but the company is in Minnesota. They do website design and security services for credit unions: www.spccompanies.com/ & thewebcentric.com (which is the divin I would be workingf or but would be employeed by SPC)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No bankruptcy or judgements on the report just 8 "negative" items from around 2008 most recent 2011 with charge offs, in collection or paid/settled.
I would not put in your two weeks notice, a credit check may be made, however unless you have significant current judgments or collections, it should not hurt you.

A security services for credit unions, could use any negative information against you.

Also, be aware there is no law requiring you to provide 2 weeks notice, so if offered the job, you can take it, with no issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is considered "significant current collections"? Is it likely they will pull the credit report if the offer letter called it a "mandatory security background check"? Is it likely the Koll authorization just a boilerplate and they may not check it? A judgement is something like a law suit right? I have not been sued. Can tax info be obtained by the employer?
Significant current collections happens when you are sued and the collections agency is garnishing your bank account or could garnish wages.

A judgment is after a law suit, and the creditor wins a case against you and is ready to collect.

Tax info would not be given without written permission.

A credit check is rare, but possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wages or bank account has never been garnished. I have 8 "negative things" some are charge offs, some late payments, some settlement paid. Would you advise to let them run it and wait on my 2 weeks?
For a website design company I would not advise it, I would if you were dealing with financial transactions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry can you clarify "For a website design company I would not advise it, I would if you were dealing with financial transactions." it reads odd to me. I will be building websites and marketing materials. The parent company (and my actual employer) deals with building the credit unions and security cameras. However we deal with the marketing and NOT the transaction aspect of the websites. We still have compliance review on our designs however. BUt I think that deals with more website copy.
If you are involved in computer matters and design, a credit check would not be ordered, if you were dealing with finances or are handling money or accounts it would be different.
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience: 14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHat is a "miscellaneous and public record" credit inquiry that was just listed by my credit monitoring service. IS this differ from a normal credit check?
that may have been a general credit check from the new employer. But it is not for your score it may be a check for only public records such as lawsuits, and judgments.