Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

I lived in Idaho before relocating to Europe in 2006. I had

Customer Question

I lived in Idaho before relocating to Europe in 2006. I had worked full-time in my previous job in Idaho for 1.5 years. When I return to the US in the next six months, will I be eligible for any unemployment compensation until I find work again? Since I am starting over and moving without securing a job yet, any extra help would be great. The other thing is I am moving to Illinois and have never lived or worked in that state before. I am a US citizen.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

No, you will not. The reason is that unemployment looks at your "base period" wages to determine if you are eligible.

In your case, if you last worked in 2006 in the U.S., you have no wages in the base period, which is the last 5 quarters, so the last 15 months. You have none in that jurisdiction, which means that no employer paid into your unemployment fund for that state for that period.

The money paid in from before you left no longer counts, in terms of your ability to get at it.

Sorry, I wish I could tell you differently, but that's the law in this situation.