How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19134
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lived in Idaho before relocating to Europe in 2006. I had

Customer Question

I lived in Idaho before relocating to Europe in 2006. I had worked full-time in my previous job in Idaho for 1.5 years. When I return to the US in the next six months, will I be eligible for any unemployment compensation until I find work again? Since I am starting over and moving without securing a job yet, any extra help would be great. The other thing is I am moving to Illinois and have never lived or worked in that state before. I am a US citizen.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.


No, you will not. The reason is that unemployment looks at your "base period" wages to determine if you are eligible.


In your case, if you last worked in 2006 in the U.S., you have no wages in the base period, which is the last 5 quarters, so the last 15 months. You have none in that jurisdiction, which means that no employer paid into your unemployment fund for that state for that period.


The money paid in from before you left no longer counts, in terms of your ability to get at it.


Sorry, I wish I could tell you differently, but that's the law in this situation.

Allen M., Esq. and 5 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Employment Law Questions