Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer

I was let go from my job (5 months)after telling upper management

I was let go from my job (5 months)after telling upper management that I had never received any training then they placed me on probation. The day the probation was to end no one told me I was dismissed until 2 days later after they had told other employees that they had already let me go. I am over the age of 55 and they let another worker that is the same age and made the same comments that I did. Do I have any legal rights?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If you can establish that the company has established a pattern of not training employees over the age of 40 and then terminating them for requesting training, you may have enough to show that the company is engaged in age discrimination. They would have to show some other reason for the termination, but where there's a pattern, that can look bad for the company.

These cases are tough, because they require a lot of discovery and a lot of research. However, if you win the case, you're entitled to collect attorney's fees, in addition to back pay and reinstatement. That means that it may be worth collecting any information that you have and sitting down with a local attorney who may be able to help. You may also want to see if your former coworker is interested in joining the suit, because that can help reduce expenses if you work together. A lawyer can get records from the employer that can be used to look for other employees who may have experienced the same things you did, and that can also help prove the case.

A good place to find a local employment law attorney is

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.