Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

Two major employers in town have agreed to let each other know

Two major employers in town have agreed to let each other know when one of the other's employee applies and wether or not they wish to allow that person to be allowed a job offer.
In effect blocking the opportuntiy of that person to work at the other company. Has cause some of those individuals to get raises at their present company. Something just seems wrong about this.

Thank you for the information. Although it is legal for companies to have mutual contracts/agreements that restricted each other from hiring employees from the other company, which is a sort of a corporate raiding agreement, that agreement can be challenged under certain circumstances. If the employers are only partially enforcing this rule and picking and choosing what employees they will let go to the other company or not, then if an employee who is in a protected class under employment discrimination laws is adversely affected by the uneven enforcement of the agreement, that employee/applicant could file a discrimination complaint with the Louisiana Commission on Human Rights and the EEOC.

Otherwise, even though this is a restriction in part of employment, it would not be illegal without that unlawful discrimination I mentioned.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.