Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

I lost my job on 4/9/13. My employer will not pay me for the

I lost my job on 4/9/13. My employer will not pay me for the last 2 weeks I had worked there. What can I do?

Thank you for the information and your question. If you have not been paid the wages you are owed, then you have two options. One is to file a wage claim with the Kansas Department of Labor. You can find information about the process and the actual form you will need to file by going to:
(you will see blue link to the form on the first line of the information)

The other option is to file a small claims court suit against the employer for what you are owed. You can also ask the court to award you double the amount owed as liquidated damages since this is a suit for unpaid wages. The court can also make your former employer pay courts costs and any reasonable attorney's fees that you might have. You do not need an attorney for small claims court though.

If I were you I would try to wage claim with the DOL first though since that is free and they are very effective at getting money from employers that is owed to the employee. If, for some reason, they are not successful, then you can try to small claims suit.

Let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the legal answer I provided to you on the 10th of May. The Site has been a little buggy lately so the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue if needed.

Thank you.