Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

Im an employee of a computer retail firm. My job is to provide

I'm an employee of a computer retail firm. My job is to provide tech support for several other companies. I've learned recently that one of these companies is going to scale back their contract support and will advertise to hire someone for this work internally. Would an interview constitute a violation of a typical non-solicitation agreement or would it be the point of accepting employment?

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

An interview wouldn't violate any of the standard non-compete agreements that I have seen. Those would all be triggered by the actual taking of the job, not the interview.

Customer:

Thanks for taking my questino

JD 1992 :

No problem.

Customer:

ok.. That is what I was thinking, but the non-solicitation part had me worried.

JD 1992 :

Most of them don't cover a job interview, they would only cover it if you are trying to convince the other company to 1) leave the company that you are working for now or 2) create a new position.

Customer:

ah ok.. good news.. thanks!

JD 1992 :

That is especially true when you look at the purpose behind non-compete agreements.

JD 1992 :

Anything else I can assist with?

Customer:

that's it

JD 1992 :

All right, I'll exit and assist others. Best wishes to you.

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.